Winterize your FIRMAN Generator
Winter is coming… Are you planning on storing your FIRMAN for the season? Or would you rather use it to stay warm during these cold winter nights? Either way, make sure to follow the few steps below and have your FIRMAN ready for the elements!
o WINTER FULL STORAGE
- If you don’t plan on using it for the next few months, add gas stabilizer, let the treated fuel circulates into fuel lines and carburetor and finally, remove all gasoline from the fuel tank. The quantity of stabilizer you need to add will be indicated on the bottle. Please refer to our blog Article “How to store my FIRMAN?” for more details on how to do so.
- Before storage, make sure you clean the air filter with warm soapy water. You can then add a thin layer of oil around the air filter before putting it back in place.
- Make sure you change the oil before storing your FIRMAN for the winter. For most models, you can replace with regular oil 10W-30. If the temperatures are getting really cold (40 degrees and less) you should be using full synthetic 5W-30. For our Tri Fuel generators, we recommend using FIRMAN SAE 10W-30 API SL oil for best performance.
- Cover the unit and store it in a clean, dry place out of direct sunlight. If your generator has a battery, you should disconnect it using the quick connect- disconnect. Let it plugged in into a 12V D Battery maintainer. Or you can also use a 12V battery charger for a shorter amount of time.
- Remove spark plug boot and spark plug. Pour about one teaspoon of engine oil through the spark plug hole, then slowly pull the recoil starter several times to distribute the oil in the cylinder. Reinstall the spark plug and attach the spark plug boot. Pull recoil slowly until resistance is felt. This will close the valves, so no moisture enters the engine cylinder.
- Finally, be aware of pesky rodents! They can be really threatening for wiring, and damages aren’t covered by the warranty. Make sure you keep your unit out of rats, squirrels and others.
o WINTER USE OR INFREQUENT USE
- If you plan on using it infrequently for the next few months (occasional camping trips, expected power outages), make sure to add gas stabilizer in the gas tank. Every time you are done using it, let your generator run dry to get the gas out of the carburetor. The quantity of stabilizer you need to add will be indicated on the bottle. You don’t need to drain the gas out of the gas tank every time. You can refer to our blog Article “How to store my FIRMAN?” for more details.
- While in use, you should protect the gas tank and the front plugs from the rain and snow. However always make sure both extremities (exhaust and air filter area) are open to the air. We recommend the website GenTent who offers good and reliable generator covers. You can also use a big piece of flatwood or tarp to protect it.
- If you are using propane, insulate the propane tank to prevent it from freezing.
This should help your FIRMAN overcome the Winter Season! Stay warm and enjoy this holiday time with Family. For any additional question, please call our Amazing Technical Support at 844-347-6261.